Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Turns out there isn't that much in a name - the name change process

Three-ish weeks after the wedding, I finally got a day where I could head to the Federal building and apply to change my name at the Social Security office. It was the first time I can remember that I forgot my phone at home, which was very unfortunate, since I could have caught up on some serious Facebook stalking during my hour and a half wait for my four minutes of fame. A week later my new social security card showed up in the mail with my new name, Sarah N. Ladner Apollo. (Vader. Whatever. If you're still reading you know who we are.)

I'm personally excited to have such a long name - think of the boxes I can use up on those by-character forms! I headed to the RMV with my new card and applied for my new license, which required only a half hour wait (hooray!), but where I discovered that my new real name wouldn't be able to be put on my license. Thankfully the RMV lady convinced me that Ladner-Apollo would look less dumb on my license than LadnerApollo, despite some initial hesitation on my part, so I now sort of have two identities. This doesn't seem to alarm anybody of the government sort, which begs the question: what the hell is in a name, after all?

During the following week I walked around waiting to be identity-thefted prepared for the name change process with banks, school, loan offices, etc. with marriage documents in hand. I mostly learned that having access to a photocopier is terrifically helpful in the process, as is only having accounts based in the area you live. Of course, neither is true, so the process took a bit longer. Most people were OK with the two names, but my name will be hyphenated in some places due to logistical necessities. Five weeks after the wedding I think I'm just about done changing my name. Whew! The biggest mystery - today I realized that Google has changed my name on my e-mail account, without my doing anything to change it. From whom do you think they get their information?

To future name-changers: there is no rhyme or reason in what people will require to change your name. Some want a marriage certificate copy, some want every document you can find, and some are happy with a phone call. Sadly, the ones who put you on hold the longest are never the ones who just need a phone call.

We hear the wedding photos should be done by this week, so stay tuned for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment