Saturday, October 27, 2012

Teenage Wedding Planners

As a teacher of very small classes, I get to know my students pretty well. And on days where they'd rather chat than do their work in Tutorial (like homeroom), they get to know me pretty well. At this point all of them know that I am engaged and will be getting married next summer. For my seniors, I have been engaged for all but two months of my time teaching them over the years. A past student jokingly started a rumor that I had a secret wedding over the summer of 2011, and that stuck for a few weeks until a student aptly noted that there was still only one ring on my finger. As the date draws near, they are starting to ask me more questions about our big day, and are offering PLENTY of suggestions. Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorites:

1.) That I should have a cotton candy machine AND a popcorn machine for the reception. I asked if I should also rent an elephant, but the kid didn't get it...

2.) That we should get married while skydiving.

3.) That my bridesmaids should wear short, tight, zebra print dresses with a pink sash*.

4.) That my first dance should be to "Tonight" by Fun. Barring that, it should be to a Chris Brown song.

5.) That I should invite my students to the wedding, having them take part in the ceremony.

6.) That I should have announced my engagement to my Juniors by encoding the message "I'm engaged!" in a matrix and having them decode it. I liked this idea a lot, but the idea occurred to all of us AFTER I shared the news.

7.) That I should let my former Cake Decorating elective students bake and decorate my wedding cake.

Somehow, my students don't understand why I don't plan on taking any of their ideas. Two are plotting on how they can crash the wedding, and I'm counting on their lack of driver's licenses if they manage to figure out the details.

*I plan on holding this as a backup for unruly bridesmaids.

No comments:

Post a Comment