Monday, November 12, 2012

To do 'til "I do"...or at least 'til 2013

I LOVE making lists. Preferably on post-it notes lined up parallel to each other and the bottom of my desk, despite Vader's and my students' best efforts to foul up the lines. I'm the sort of list-maker that puts things like "make to-do list" or "eat breakfast" on the list to immediately cross them off. In fact, I made my bed daily in college largely so that I could put "make bed" on my to-do list in between "write 12 page paper" and "read 300 pages."

I digress.

Wedding websites/blogs/magazines/vendors also love making lists, and have published several in hopes of helping future brides stay organized and keep on track with wedding planning. Most of these pre-made to do lists start at 12 months out, and so for the last two years (As of this past week we have been engaged for two whole years!) I have been twiddling my thumbs and making my own list with items such as "deter Vader from Star Wars planning" on it. Since this summer, however, we are finally able to use a canned to do list to help keep track of "traditional" wedding decisions.

Now, some lists are better than others. A popular wedding reference site, TheKnot, composed a list for me. On it are items like "take dance lessons" and "make a list of family wedding customs" which just aren't going to happen. It also thinks I still have 155 things to do before the wedding, and that I have only thus far completed 19, so I may be biased in the interest of sounding productive.

Another wedding planning site (Real Simple) has a comprehensive to do list that features my favorite item: "reserve structural necessities." The Portland Club features a roof, a foundation, AND walls, so that's a big check off my list!

My to do list of choice which I am using to keep track of our wedding decisions is a pull-out 12 month calendar planner from Real Maine Weddings. At eight months and 1 day out from the wedding, we have accomplished a lot of the tasks this list says we should have by now in our planning. I was, however, surprised to find that we were behind in some areas!

So, here is my to do list for the end of 2012, partially inspired by Real Maine Weddings ideas. And, for good compulsive-list-maker measure, a few items I've already done.

To do:

1.) Mail save the date cards (...and create them...)
2.) Order wedding gown
3.) Determine ceremony music
4.) Order (decide on, really) bridal headpiece and shoes
5.) Choose bridesmaid gowns (pending!)
6.) Choose the wedding party
7.) Keep making decoration-type crafts
8.) Select attire for the kids in the party
9.) Enjoy holidays with our families while not consuming my weight in fudge and/or egg nog.

No comments:

Post a Comment