Friday, January 4, 2013

details

Over my years of crafting/being a student/being a teacher/planning a wedding, I have gathered a strange collection of crafting supplies. Since we moved in, I stored these supplies in a cloth 3-drawer organizer next to my bedroom closet. After weeks of finding plastic army guys, earring holders, pipe cleaners, and pom-pom balls littered about the house, however, I realized that the cloth drawers were no match for my curious and digging kitty. The mess, coupled with the New Year's holiday, led to a very thorough cleaning and rearranging of my craft materials into a less penetrable (by a cat) container.

In my cleaning I came across a few stamps I wanted to try out on our invitation envelopes, and got to playing. I like the way they came out, aside from the fact that the feet of the guys up top show through the front side of the envelope. Here's what the invitation envelope looks like when unsealed:

The little guide lines on the edges of the flap would not be there, but I was pretty pleased with what I thought was a cutely decorated (otherwise boring) envelope without the need for tape or glue.

Having done the wedding invitation assembly herself a year ago, last night Bridesmaid Madonna thoughtfully pointed out that the cuteness of the top would likely be lost on not-careful (read: normal) mail openers. When I open my mail, I slip my finger under the flap and rip along the seam, as I imagine most people do. That would leave our cute little "falling in love" stamp as a bunch of ripped stick feet. I would show you what it would look like but I can't bring myself to rip the little dudes in half, so use your imagination. Stick feet appeal to the romantic in me far less than the full stamp, so we quickly started talking about other options. Her suggestions were that we instead put the three-panel stamp on the closed back flap of the envelope so that everyone would see it before ripping open the envelope. I like this a lot, but then wonder if the proximity to the stamp at the bottom would be too much. We could also move one of the stamps to the front bottom of the envelope (below the address), but I'm worried about crowding it. So, because it is downright CRUCIAL that I decide this tonight (please, please read that with a heavy note of sarcasm), would you vote:

1.) 3-panel on the outside flap of back, wedded couple in bottom corner of back as well

2.) 3-panel on the outside flap of back, wedded couple on bottom corner of front

3.) 3-panel on bottom back of envelope, wedded couple on bottom corner of front

4.) Screw it! Feet all the way

No comments:

Post a Comment